Friday 18 December 2015

What to do today

In the summer -  when W was immobile and the air was warm, the ground was dry and the yard was not covered with leaves and acorns and other delicious baby treats - we would spend hours sat out on the grass. We'd read books, stare up at the trees and covertly check facebook on the phone while the other one was busy experimenting with how grass felt if he put his face into it. These days an excursion into the yard will result in muddy knees, partially digested leaf matter and an attempt to spear himself with a shovel.

Inside isn't much better. Kitchen drawers are made for trapping baby fingers; the cat intentionally leaves the door open through to his food and litter, and the robot vacuum cleaner I got for my birthday - while entertaining - is presumably not designed to play tag with a 10 month old. Everything else is just plain boring. Especially once the junk mail and potential electrocution sites have been moved out of reach. 

So we go out. Often at the expense of naps. But the boy needs to move and I need to not lose my mind. We go on play dates and he helpfully points out all the baby proofing they still need to do. We go grocery shopping, or to the local community farm. We go to the indoor play area where he manages to find the one piece of chalk small enough to fit in his mouth and big enough to stop my heart for a few seconds. 

Some days I run out of ideas or energy, or both. While he'd be quite happy visiting the rabbits and chickens at the local farm for the third time this week, I am less inclined. I relayed this to Jeremy - that sometimes I just don't know what to do with him. 

"Why don't you go hiking?" was his response. 

To some people, hiking means a leisurely walk in the woods. Something that requires sensible shoes perhaps, but sneakers would do the job. Something local and relatively short. 

Jeremy is not some people. 

To Jeremy, hiking means New Hampshire and the White Mountains. It means maps and emergency water. It means breathtaking views after breathstealing elevation gain. 

The White Mountains are 3 hours away. Our son weighs over 23 pounds. I am me and Jeremy has known me, as I am, for over 12 years.

I stared at him, somewhat (100%) incredulously. 

"Why not?" He said. "I totally would."

He would as well.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, he totally would.. And should. Without you. So you can drink hot coffee and have a bath.

    ReplyDelete