Sunday 13 December 2015

Origin story

W is starting to understand us and it feels miraculous. We say Uh-oh, he says uh-oh. We say clap, he claps. We say 'say Dada', he claps.

It's intermittent.

Yet aside from echoing 'uh-oh' to us (and we don't say it at appropriate uh-oh times, so we're not helping him much) , he's not talking yet. The sounds are all there, he just needs to attach them to objects. To people. To me.

But I've noticed that the sound he makes when he's upset, or tired, or angry is 'mamamamama'. And while I don't think he's asking for me, I do wonder if I will attach myself to the word rather than him attaching it to me - if by responding to his mamamama, the sound will eventually become a call. If maybe this is where the word found its root - from a pissed off baby and a responsive mama.



1 comment:

  1. Sofia called me "bubba" which was her word for boob and then milk once she was off the boob. I think you're onto something.

    ReplyDelete